Technology Impact: Instagram

Technology Impact: Instagram 

May 19th, 2024


                                                        My personal journey with Instagram

Starting point with technology

I grew up with little to no technology in my house. My parents did not believe in the internet and when the internet was needed, I walked to the library. Sometimes I would stay at school to finish homework to use the internet. Back then I would need to use a dial phone to call my parents to pick me up. At a young age I did learn to work the tv and the DVD player. Which was nothing fancy, the DVD player was with the tv. One day the DVD was not working, so I played around with the DVD to make sure the movie worked. Which the movie finally then did play. Then I knew technology was for me. This new day in age technology I am still learning and take the small steps to gather everything I have learned. 

                                                                  

Image Source: wordpress.com



How this journey with Instagram all began

One afternoon I was at a yoga retreat and a friend said she was going to take a group photo and to post to Instagram. I had no idea what she was talking about. She had explained to me that this is a newer social media platform. There is a whole new world out there. New connections and people can continue to connect, but in a better way. She helped me open an account and to learn about this new technology. I had been introduced to Facebook and have been using this technology for a while now. I do have some friends on this social media. Mostly for me I have used to post pictures, network connections, catch up with friends and family. 

                                             


                                                                    Image Source: theredish.com

Middle Ground

My experience with Instagram has been a positive one. Since my friend has introduced me to this new platform, I have experienced so many new experiences. I have seen some of my friends open up new businesses and they are thriving. I have connected with alumni classmates from my undergraduate degree in psychology. We have bounced off new ideas, new career opportunities and we meet up once a week to catch up. This has been a wonderful experience. 

Another helpful network connection I have experienced is through my local library, Des Plaines Public Library. While exploring Instagram I found a local librarian and we started to chat about everything. She brought up a tutoring program and if I was interested, I jumped for the chance. This program has been around for a while, but since the pandemic this was closed for in person. A lot of students needed assistance and I was so glad to be apart of this journey. Sadly this ended in May of 2022. Since I love to guide students, I wanted to find another tutoring program. This librarian offered to send me to the Arlington Heights Library, but it is for ESL- English as a Second Language. I was delighted to help out anyone that needed my help and this program is quite amazing. Learning from various libraries and seeing them thrive. 

Next stages with Instagram

I will be always grateful my friend introduced me to Instagram. The platform is amazing, easy and great tool for everyone. Personally, I am not on social media that much anyways. I am always busy doing something else, but when I have the time, I love to catch up with everyone. The constant connection is my undergraduate classmates, our discussions are insightful. Keeping in touch with the libraries and friends. Other than those tools, I do not need Instagram as much. There will be a time when connection for newer career aspects come around and I am looking forward for this. Instagram has opened so many doors and I can not wait for one of those doors to open for me working in a library or in an elementary school. 


                                            




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Frameworks

Digital Space